My name is Daina van Rijt.

Demonstrating equality and equity is essential to fostering it in others, which I have always incorporated in my work with youth. When we are respected and capable of it, we are able to build upon those positive interactions and further our own sense of empathy and understanding of those in our lives.

I am currently completing the Child and Youth Care program through the University of Victoria and have over fifteen years experience of working with youth in a variety of capacities. Much of my work with youth has been abroad, as I have worked with children aged 5-12 years in Beijing, China, Seoul, South Korea, and El Sheikh Zayed City, Egypt. 

For the past five years, I have worked at the American International School in Egypt (West Campus). I began as a substitute teacher for both middle school and high school, and as an assistant P.E. teacher and swimming coach. As a former swimming instructor I have had CPR training but will require recertification. I then worked as a KG1 teacher at the school, until returning to Canada during the onset of the pandemic.

This year I will be completing the Child and Youth Care program and many of the courses that I have taken have focused on mental health, developing theory in child and youth care and group work, and facilitation.

Effective and competent facilitators all share similar characteristics that enable them to connect with children and families in their care through patience, empathy, and flexibility.

Throughout all of these experiences, a passion for childcare, learning, personal growth, and group facilitation has flourished within me and I look forward to hearing from you as we learn and grow together.